I am Dr. Kenneth Dumack, a biologist working in the field of protistology. I started to explore the astonishing world of protists in my early bachelor studies. Since then I deepened my focus on soil microbial communities and absolved several modules associated with different research fields all around protistology. In my studies I gained insight into their ecology, diversity, phylogeny and biotechnology. The focus of my current work lies on evolutionary science of non-bacterivorous protists on which basis I draw conclusions about ecology. I focus on amoebae and amoeboflagellates in soils and their freshwater relatives. This website is meant to give an overview about my publications, interests and qualifications.
21. Florine Degrune, Kenneth Dumack, Anna Maria Fiore-Donno, Michael Bonkowski, Moisés A Sosa-Hernández, Michael Schloter, Timo Kautz, Doreen Fischer, Matthias C Rillig (2019). "Distinct communities of Cercozoa at different soil depths in a temperate agricultural field" FEMS Microbiology Ecology
20. Enrique Valencia, Nicolas Gross, José L Quero, Carlos P Carmona, Victoria Ochoa, Beatriz Gozalo, Manuel Delgado-Baquerizo, Kenneth Dumack, Kelly Hamonts, Brajesh K Singh, Michael Bonkowski, Fernando T Maestre (2018). "Cascading effects from plants to soil microorganisms explain how plant species richness and simulated climate change affect soil multifunctionality" Global Change Biology
19. Kenneth Dumack, Julia Pundt, Michael Bonkowski (2018). "Food Choice Experiments Indicate Selective Fungivorous Predation in Fisculla terrestris (Thecofilosea, Cercozoa)" The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
18. Kenneth Dumack, Christopher Kahlich, Daniel J G Lahr, Michael Bonkowski (2018). "Reinvestigation of Phryganella paradoxa (Arcellinida, Amoebozoa) Penard, 1902" The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
17. Bui Van Bac, Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski (2018). "Two new species and one new record for the genus Copris (Coleoptera: Scarabaeidae: Scarabaeinae) from Vietnam with a key to Vietnamese species" European Journal of Entomology 115:167-191
16. Sebastian Flues, Malte Blokker, Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski (2018). "Diversity of Cercomonad Species in the Phyllosphere and Rhizosphere of Different Plant Species with a Description of Neocercomonas epiphylla (Cercozoa, Rhizaria) a Leaf-Associated Protist" The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
15. Kenneth Dumack, Ferry Siemensma, Michael Bonkowski (2018). "Rediscovery of the Testate Amoeba Genus Penardeugenia (Thaumatomonadida, Imbricatea)." Protist 1:29-42
14. Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski, Steffen Clauß, Eckhard Völcker (2017). "Phylogeny and Redescription of the Testate Amoeba Diaphoropodon archeri (Chlamydophryidae, Thecofilosea, Cercozoa), De Saedeleer 1934, and Annotations on the Polyphyly of Testate Amoebae with Agglutinated Tests in the Cercozoa" The Journal of Eukaryotic Microbiology
13. Duong Nguyen, Joaquín Abolafia, Kenneth Dumack, Michael Bonkowski, Reyes Peña-Santiago (2017). "Two known species of Aporcelinus Andrássy, 2009 (Dorylaimida: Aporcelaimidae) from Vietnam, with the first molecular study of the genus" Nematology
12. Kenneth Dumack, Sebastian Flues, Karoline Hermanns, Michael Bonkowski (2017). "Rhogostomidae (Cercozoa) from soils, roots and plant leaves (Arabidopsis thaliana): Description of Rhogostoma epiphylla sp. nov. and R. cylindrica sp. nov." European Journal of Protistology 60:76–86
11. Kenneth Dumack, Alexander P. Mylnikov, Michael Bonkowski (2017). "Evolutionary Relationship of the Scale-Bearing Kraken (incertae sedis, Monadofilosa, Cercozoa, Rhizaria): Combining Ultrastructure Data and a Two-Gene Phylogeny" Protist
10. Kenneth Dumack, Paul Mausbach, Mona Hegmann, Michael Bonkowski (2017). "Polyphyly in the Thecate Amoeba Genus Lecythium (Chlamydophryidae, Tectofilosida, Cercozoa), Redescription of its Type Species L. hyalinum, Description of L. jennyae sp. nov. and the Establishment of Fisculla gen. nov. and Fiscullidae fam. nov." Protist 168:294-310
9. Christophe Seppey, David Singer, Kenneth Dumack, Bertrand Fournier, Lassaâd Belbahri, Edward Mitchell, Enrique Lara (2017). "Distribution patterns of soil microbial eukaryotes suggests widespread algivory by phagotrophic protists as an alternative pathway for nutrient cycling." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 112:68-76
8. Kenneth Dumack, Hüsna Öztoprak, Lioba Rüger, Michael Bonkowski (2017). "Shedding light on the polyphyletic thecate amoeba genus Plagiophrys: Transition of some of its species to Rhizaspis (Tectofilosida, Thecofilosea, Cercozoa) and the establishment of Sacciforma gen. nov. and Rhogostomidae fam. nov. (Cryomonadida, Thecofilosea, Cercozoa)." Protist 168:92-108
7. Tice AK, Shadwick LL, Fiore-donno AM, Geisen S, Kang S, Schuler GA, Spiegel FW, Wilkinson KA, Bonkowski M, Dumack K, Lahr DJG, Voelcker E, Clauß S, Zhang J, Brown MW (2016). "Expansion of the molecular and morphological diversity of Acanthamoebidae (Centramoebida, Amoebozoa) and identification of a novel life cycle type within the group" Biology Direct
6. Kenneth Dumack, Christina Baumann, Michael Bonkowski (2016). "A Bowl with Marbles: Revision of the Thecate Amoeba Genus Lecythium (Chlamydophryidae, Tectofilosida, Cercozoa, Rhizaria) Including a Description of Four New Species and an Identification Key." Protist
5. Kenneth Dumack, Robert Koller, Bettina Weber, Michael Bonkowski (2016). "Estimated heterotrophic protist abundances and their diversity in South African biological soil crusts." South African Journal of Science
4. Kenneth Dumack, Julia Schuster, David Bass, Michael Bonkowski (2016). "A Novel Lineage of 'Naked Filose Amoebae'; Kraken carinae gen. nov. sp. nov. (Cercozoa) with a Remarkable Locomotion by Disassembly of its Cell Body." Protist
3. Kenneth Dumack, Marina Müller, Michael Bonkowski (2016). "Description of Lecythium terrestris sp. nov. (Chlamydophryidae, Cercozoa), a Soil Dwelling Protist Feeding on Fungi and Algae." Protist
2. Stefan Geisen, Robert Koller, Maike Hünninghaus, Kenneth Dumack, Tim Urich, Michael Bonkowski (2016). "The soil food web revisited: Diverse and widespread mycophagous soil protists." Soil Biology and Biochemistry
1. Walter S. Andriuzzi, Phuong-Thi Ngo, Stefan Geisen, Aidan M. Keith, Kenneth Dumack, Thomas Bolger, Michael Bonkowski, Lijbert Brussaard, Jack H. Faber, Abad Chabbi, Cornelia Rumpe, Olaf Schmidt (2015). "Organic matter composition and the protist and nematode communities around anecic earthworm burrows." Biology and Fertility of Soils doi:10.1007/s00374-015-1056-6
Conferences & Contributions
38th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Oral presentation "Assessing the plant-associated protist microbiome"
One of my students, Hüsna Öztoprak, presented our research and was awarded by the German Society of Protozoology with the 3rd place for the Best Poster Presentation .
Joint conference of the Phycological Society of America and the International Society of Protistologists 2018
One of my students, Christopher Kahlich, presented our research at the joined ISOP/ PSA conference. The work was awarded by the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, calling it of "exceptional potential interest". Additionally Christopher was awared by the International Society of Protistologists with the Holz-Conner Award and the Jahn/Bovee Award for the Best Student Presentation.
37th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Laureate of the Karl-Gottlieb-Grell Award for an outstanding PhD thesis in protistology
Invited plenary presentation "Novel lineages in Cercozoa and their feeding strategies".
Recipient of a Mobility Grant by the University of Cologne for a short term research stay at the University of São Paulo, Brazil.
15th International Congress of Protistology
Oral presentation "Where does the Kraken belong?"
Poster presentation "The testate amoeba Penardeugenia is no chlamydophryid but imbricatean." Recipient of the Holz-Conner Award.
36th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Oral presentation "Where does the Kraken belong?"
Poster presentation "The testate amoeba Penardeugenia is no chlamydophryid but imbricatean."
Participant in the Barcelona Eukref Workshop focussing on Amoebozoa and Rhizaria.
Moscow Forum «PROTIST–2016»
Oral presentation "The Chlamydophryidae revisited with special focus on the genus Lecythium"
Poster presentation "The base of cercomonad radiation is still in for a surprise, Kraken gen. nov." Recipient of the Holz-Conner Award.
Under the honorable mentions for both, the best posters and the best talks.
35th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Oral presentation "A bowl with marbles; the fungal and algal-eating amoeba genus Lecythium (Chlamydophryidae, Tectofilosida, Cercozoa, Rhizaria) revisited; phylogeny and the description of four new species"
Poster presentation "The base of cercomonad radiation is still in for a surprise, Kraken gen. nov." Second winner of the presentation award and the poster award.
Guest talk in the University of Göttingen, invited by Valentyna Krashevska
Title: "Lecythium, the neglected testate amoebae. Insight into phylogeny, morphology and ecology with focus on L. terrestris sp. nov."
34th annual meeting of the German Society for Protozoology
Oral presentation "Lecythium terrestris, its morphology, phylogeny and autecology."
Winner of the presentation award.